Picnic sandwich with asparagus, olives, goat cheese, and lemon
Servings: 4 sandwiches
- 4 ciabatta rolls
- 2 tablespoon olive oil**
- 8 ounces goat cheese, spreadable*
- 12-16 asparagus spears
- 1 lemon
- 12-16 kalamata olives, chopped
- 1 handful salad greens
Preheat the oven to 425 to toast the rolls. Zest the lemon and squeeze the juice into a medium bowl. Slice asparagus into rounds and toss into lemon juice, add salt and pepper to taste. Chop the olives.
Cut the rolls in half*** and drizzle with olive oil (garlic flavored if you have it!). Toast in the oven for about 5 minutes, until golden.
Spread 2 ounces of goat cheese on one side of each roll.
Put the asparagus on top of the cheese lay (to hold it in place). Top with olives, zest and greens.
If wrapping for a picnic, wrap each sandwich tightly so the filling doesn't fall out.
- Olive oil: this is delicious with garlic flavored olive oil, since it's nice and delicate without having an overpowering garlic flavor.
- Goat cheese: I like herbed goat cheese, something like this.
- Cut rolls in half: You can also cut part way through, leaving one edge intact, so stuff doesn't fall out as easily.
Calories: 559kcal | Carbohydrates: 61g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 26g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 32mg | Sodium: 1134mg | Potassium: 258mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 1175IU | Vitamin C: 17mg | Calcium: 147mg | Iron: 4.1mg