Strawberry bread with chocolate chips
Use 1 lb of strawberries and half a cup of chocolate chips in this easy quickbread recipe.
Servings: 10 big slices
- 1 lb strawberries
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 ¾ cup all purpose flour 8.75 ounces
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups strawberry mixture
- ½ cup walnut or vegetable oil
- ¼ cup almond milk or regular milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup chopped chocolate chips
Chop strawberries and add them to a medium sauce pan along with ½ a cup of sugar. Mash to release juices. Bring to a simmer and then reduce heat to medium and let it reduce to about 1.5 cups. Let cool slightly (so it isn't piping hot) before adding to bread ingredients. (see note)
While it simmers, measure and prep the rest of the ingredients.
Preheat oven to 325F. Great a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
Medium bowl: whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, and chocolate chips.
Large bowl: mix the eggs and sugar together. Then whisk in the strawberry mixture, oil, milk, and vanilla.
Add the dry ingredients to the large bowl and mix until just combined.
Bake for about 1 hour. To check if it is done, insert a toothpick into the middle. If it comes out clean or with just a couple crumbs, it is ready.
Let cool slightly before cutting or it will fall apart!
- The batter will be a pretty pink color, but as it cooks it loses that color. Recipes that show bright pink bread used dye. (I even tried adding beets and couldn't get that bright pink color once it cooked).
- Feel free to add chopped walnuts, almonds, or other kinds of nuts to this recipe.
- If you have walnut oil, that works great in place of vegetable oil, but no need to go out and buy it for this recipe.
Calories: 332kcal | Carbohydrates: 45g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 37mg | Sodium: 275mg | Potassium: 163mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 25g | Vitamin A: 60IU | Vitamin C: 26.6mg | Calcium: 51mg | Iron: 1.5mg