Farmers Market summer pasta
Fresh produce from the farmers market, fregola, mozzarella, and basil.
Servings: 2 people
- 1 cup fregola sarda see substitution note
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 4 cloves garlic
- 4 ounces cherry tomatoes
- 1 ear corn
- 6 ounces beans or peas
- 8 baby sweet peppers see note
- 4 ounces mozzarella see note
- 1 bunch basil
GET STARTEDGet a small or medium pot of water boiling.Prep the veggies: Cut kernels off the corn cob. Cut other veggies into large bite-size pieces (half cherry tomatoes, halve or quarter peppers, etc). Dice the garlic and onion. Slice the basil into ribbons.Tear the mozzarella into bite size chunks. MAKE THE PASTAWhen the water boils, add the pasta and cook for 12-15 minutes, or whatever the directly say on the package. When it is done, drizzle 1 Tbsp of olive oil on it (that's the 'sauce'), season with salt and pepper, and set aside off the heat. MAKE THE VEGGIESIn a large pan, add a little olive oil. When it is hot, add in the onion & red pepper, and saute until it starts to soften, about 5 minutes. Add in the garlic and saute for 2 minutes (adding it in too early might burn it, making it bitter).Next add in all of the veggies and half the basil. Season with salt and pepper.If the pan is too dry, add 1/4 cup of water. If it is not too dry, the veggies will release some liquid into the pan as they cook, to keep them from burning. Cook for 5-10 minutes - until the veggies are as soft as you like them. COMBINE & SERVEYou can mix the fregola into the veggie pan if you want, or keep it separate and place the veggies on top.Top with the mozzarella cheese and remaining basil. Enjoy!
- Fregola sarda substitution: look for Israeli couscous near the other couscous - it's larger and similar to fregola.
- Baby sweet peppers: depending on availability and price, sub in a red, orange, or yellow bell pepper.
- Mozzarella: look for mozzarella in a ball or log or anything not shredded. It works better that way :)
Calories: 631kcal | Carbohydrates: 85g | Protein: 26g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 43mg | Sodium: 251mg | Potassium: 736mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 3640IU | Vitamin C: 90.9mg | Calcium: 1354mg | Iron: 3.9mg